Monday, September 1, 2008

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Growing up we went to the Fair and it was a summer highlight. In high school I would go with the girls and see what kind of trouble we could find. (Boys and the Beer Garden mainly.) I worked at the Fresh French Fry booth all through high school and college. (Yes, I made incredible money - do you think I would have subjected myself to the hours, the grease and the teeny boppers if I didn't....) I spent two pregnancies wishing so badly that it was State Fair time, and now it is wonderful to bring my own children there. This year we went two times, and I am certain that my veins, organs and waist line are begging for mercy at this point, but it is all worth it.
This year we started what I hope becomes a new tradition, an adult only evening at the Fair. It happened to be my birthday and it was so fun. We walked around, people watched, ate, drank, and even did some rides and games in the Mighty Midway. It was very different not being there with strollers and children. Then we went Friday with the girls and our friends the Is for an all day State Fair Bonanza. The numbers break down something like this: 9+ hours, 150,000 calories consumed, 10 kiddies rides, 50 baby farm animals (including 1 cow literally giving birth...) 3 painted faces, and 2 times down the giant slide. It was amazing and if I listed all the foods we ate you might get child services involved so I'll just say it was the one day where almost anything was "Fair" game. It's a good thing it's only 12 days long or we would be very fat and very broke...
Julia & her butterfly face paint


Maria loved ALL the Fair food


Riding with Kendall

The Giant Slide

And now the waiting begins. 365 days until another year and another chance at the Great Minnesota Get Together. 365 days too long as far as this family is concerned.

No comments: