Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Little Fish

The trip stuff is coming - when I get a few hours to download my pictures - but until then, life has gone on.

Today was Julia's last day of swimming lessons for the session. It is the only day that we are allowed to take pictures. (They are very crazy about cameras at the Y after the whole camera in the locker room incident a few years back...) Jules has been doing a pretty good job in class. She is definitely more comfortable in the water then she was before. We are going to take a break for the winter - subzero temps + wet hair = sick kid, so we are going to take the winter off and start back up in the spring. I am pretty excited because Thursdays will now be wide open. No activity or commitment in sight, and that feels pretty darn good.

Julia "rescuing" her pink & blue haired teeny-bopper teacher

Go Jules!

Our Little Fish

4 comments:

Melyssa said...

Hey we both blogged about swimming lessons-- with the same title! too funny-- great minds think alike. Julia looked like she was having lots of fun! Isn't it fun to see them grow....

Eyeglasses & Endzones said...

Cute pics, the water looks so blue...maybe because it is soo grey outside? Yeah Julia!

Unknown said...

Julia looks like she is having a lot of fun in the pictures.

I saw your comment on Melyssa's blog and just wanted to tell you that we go to Foss also. I think it is worth every penny. William wouldn't put his face in the water last spring and by the 4th lesson he was playing under the water. We didn't take lessons this summer but just tried to get to the pool as often as possible so he could practice. Now we are taking lessons again and I can't believe how much better he is getting. All of the teachers are over 18 I think. And I really like their philosophy on swimming. They are there to teach the kids how to be safe in the water...not just play around. William is learning to flip over when he needs to take a breath and then to flip back over and keep swimming.

Swimming is one of those life skills that I couldn't put a price tag on. I taught swimming in college and getting kids who were older and didn't like to swim was hard. Swimming lessons are an investment that you won't see a pay off until much later.

Melyssa said...

Jenny- I wanted to respond to your question on my blog- YES- I have been very happy with my lessons at Foss and I really recommend them. I ditto what Karin said! It is so important to have this skill- especially with the clubhouse-- and oh those several thousand lakes HA HA... I sure would take tour to see what you think. Sign up is starting Nov 15th I think it was...