Friday, January 2, 2009

A Look Back at 2008

Capri, Italy

As we say goodbye to 2008 I find myself looking back at my favorite moments of an eventful year. I know this post will be long, and it is more for my children to look at one day then anything else, but it reminds me what a blessed life we live and how fortunate we are to not only have all the memories I will record here, but more importantly, that we have each other. Here is why 2008 was great! According to me anyway.......

Julia's Firsts
There were many! First dance recital, first day of preschool, first time playing soccer, first time jumping in the pool solo, and first time wearing big girl underwear, just to mention a few. She is getting so big and amazes me everyday by all that she absorbs and how she processes things. She talks non-stop, asks a million questions and gets more beautiful inside and out everyday.


First soccer experience - she is no Beckham but had fun! (April)

In her big girl underwear - being potty trained a definite highlight for this mommy (January)

First day of preschool (September)

First dance recital (June)

Maria's Firsts
Maria had even more firsts then Julia, but they were very different. Maria took her first steps, said her first words, ate her first solid food, got her first haircut, and had her first birthday, just to cover a few. It was a year of new discovery and watching as her personality emerged. She went from baby to toddler right before our eyes. She is spunky and sweet all rolled into one adorable, loveable package.

First Birthday (June)

First pigtail ( March)

Taking her first assisted steps (April)

First dip in the ocean (February)

Winter
We got the tail end of one winter and the beginning of another in 2008. Last winter was tough, Maria was too little to really go outside, which meant Julia was stuck indoors if only one parent was home. We did manage to escape the cold for a week long cruise in the Caribbean with my family. It was wonderful.... This winter has been so fun so far! Both girls love going outside. They have sled down the hill in our backyard, made a snowman in the front yard and love to look out the window when it is snowing. We are looking forward to more winter activities to come. I may even try and take Jules ice skating one of these days...

Cruising in Tortola, BWVI

That's Julia buried in there, sledding....

This picture is almost exactly one year old - my how they have changed!

Spring
Spring is always busy with dance recitals and both of the girls birthdays, but it also marks the end of my work year and the start of several months off. By far the highlight of this past spring was a trip to Disney World. It was a week of family and fun and we had a blast. So much fun in fact, that we are going back in February for week.

Julia's 3rd Birthday

Maria's 1st Birthday

The girls with Snow White at Disney World

Summer
We had a great summer this year! Julia was finally tall enough for the rides at Como Zoo, we spent a ton of time at different beaches and the pool, we took trips to Chicago and Boston to visit family and friends, made it up to the cabin for a fun weekend, and hit the State Fair, twice. I turned 30 and my sister and Andy threw my an awesome 30th birthday party and Andy hit 34. Old fart...

Julia & I in front of the Old North Church in Boston

Riding the cars at Como Zoo

The Great Minnesota Get Together

Fall
Fall is my favorite time of year and this past one did not disappoint. We did the pumpkin patch, the corn maze and the apple orchard. It was almost WARM on Halloween as our Little Bo Peep and Sheep went trick or treating. My nephew Parker turned 6 and my niece Molly turned 4. Andy and I took a week long cruise with some of our best friends and saw some of the most beautiful places in the world. It was incrediable and we are still thanksful to my mom and sister for taking care of the girls for us. (See photo above - I messed up and couldn't figure out how to get it down here....opppss!)
Pine Tree Apple Orchard

Little Bo Peep and her Sheep on Halloween

It wouldn't be a recap of the year not to mention the passing of my grandma Margaret. I miss her everyday.

Overall we are counting our blessings and looking forward to what lies ahead in 2009. We have some big plans for our family and house and vacations and ...... I can only imagine what I will have to say at this time next year.

HAPPY NEW YEAR! May 2009 be good to you all!


No comments: